Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hi there.

I've been a role player and game master for nearly all of my life... actually I didn't realize it in early childhood. Back then I just used my imagination a lot to create virtual realms in my mind and play in them and things... and they were worlds that had a lot more rules and cosmological makeup than most kids that don't use their imaginations a lot get in to... I didn't really start role playing until highschool, but back in elementary school, I remember making up little action figures out of twigs and grass and things and taking them on journeys through various lands, which were really just the school playground, but it was really cool. Back then I also had some He-Man action figures and some Marvel Universe Secret Wars Action figures and lots of other toys. My brother and I used to team the "good guys" against the "bad guys." I usually ended up playing the "bad guys" since I had Dr. Doom, Skeletor, and all the baddies and he had Captain America, Castle Grey Skull, and a lot of various heroes... I'll go in to detail on all of them eventually... anyways, he usually always left the headquarters as was... I usually always added tons of mazes to the bad guys layers using blankets, lincoln logs, and tons of other things... usually expanding Skeltor's layer to take up a half a room, with mazes under beds, labrinths leading to extra dimensional palaces on the top of a bunk bed and even higher realms above that, forests in my mom's plants in the living room, and lots of other things... Back then I used to always draw up mazes on paper and all sorts of things... I enjoy making things that most think should be simple in to a fairly complex rules based world or set of worlds... I plan to use this blog to explain some of my RPG ideas, explain storytelling ideas, and other things. I haven't really played a table top RPG in a long while but still have tons of books from back in high school and college, and read things online all the time... I used to play online in Diablo II a lot a few years back, but now I play in Entropia Universe a lot nowadays.. it's not a real "rpg world" in the old fashioned sense, but does have some elements... and is a descent game in some ways, although kinda boring in a lot of aspects... and pretty pricey to play..

Oh yeah, almost forgot... the reason I named this the role-playing-onion blog is because it's a name I was pretty sure no one else had used for a blog name before. It's a reference to the old RPG theme and idea that as players are let known more and more about their rpg world that they are playing in over the course of time by a skilled gamesmaster, storyteller, or whatever you want to call the umpire guy/gal it's like they are peeling off the layers of an onion... there's some translucency to the underlying layers when you first look, but as you uncover more and more, you discover whole new aspects of the story that you never first envisioned. Plots gain lots of twists and turns, enemies become friends, allies become enemies, and it's possible that we are all pawns on a metaphysical chessboard, but at the same time may end up being Kings of our own little worlds and learn to be more than we thought we could be, etc. as characters develop over the course of time...

I'll post more here over time... stay tuned.

No comments: